Meeting with the Doc and keeping things in perspective
so the big thing on tap for today was my first follow up appointment with my awesome surgeon Dr. Corey. i was a bit nervous to see the Frankenleg unwrapped, and i actually wanted to bring my camera but on the way out i totally forgot about it and being that i still can't hold anything with both my hands stuck maneuvering the crutches i usually tend to forget stuff when i go around...so sorry u don't get to bear witness to the beautiful leg just yet. it feels really weird when the good doc unwrapped it; i don't want to gross anyone out but it's hypersensitive but also getting kind of itchy under that blasted splint and wrapping. so it kinda feels nice to let the sucker breathe but it really makes me scared because any touch a bit too strong hurts! but Dr. Corey was really pleased to see how it was healing up as of yet; one of his biggest concerns was infection just because soooo much was open and exposed on the road...i guess that's why i burned through what seemed like dozens of antibiotic drip bags through my IV, but thankfully they worked!

The other big risk was that some of the skin would die and i'd need a skin graft but...drum roll please it was a small miracle that the skin is alive and healing well so i at least dodged one bullet there! :) today's visit was pretty short just a peek to see the healing, and then next week is going to be a bit more intense, at least from my perspective. ALL THE STITCHES ARE COMING OUT!! when he said that my stomach turned and i flashed back to the other doctor ripping off the blood vacuum. he said it won't hurt and they just pull them out; but i've never had stitches before and i've got this mental image of a seam ripper going to town on my skin! but they will also then do some xrays, then take another set of xrays the following week and from there decide how well the bone is healing up. i lost a big chunk out of my tibia so the odds are that i will need a bone graft; and i will hear the final word in two weeks and then most likely will need to go back for that graft in a little over five weeks from today. he said they would probably take the bone from my hip or femur...i'm just trying not to dwell on that, and who knows maybe, just maybe i might luck out and be blessed with another miracle and wiggle my way out of this graft too. ;)

it was actually really eye opening for me to just go to the office; i was feeling all bad about my own injury but then i saw this man with his leg amputated below the knee and in a wheelchair. it made me really thankful that i at least have two legs and am able to walk on the crutches. it's not like i thought i had the worst injury ever before i saw the man, but it just hit it home a little more, and truth be told HE doesn't even have the worst injury. i just got more perspective, it was staring me right in the face, and i'm lucky i didn't lose a limb, i'm lucky i didn't get knocked into a coma or have brain damage, and i'm lucky i'm even alive...so i left feeling more optimistic and ready to tackle this baby!

the rest of the day was pretty much the same as usual, i did a little writing on a new novel idea and then just wasted a lot of time on Facebook and online...i think that thing is like a little time vortex that sucks you in and then you look at the clock and are like, "where did the hours go?!?!" but in my case i welcome that feeling as the hours passing quickly are helpful. and one more thing i'm happy about is i was able to get down to a less 'hard core' pain killer and that was something i had asked him about so i can sort of ween myself off of those. my leg hardly ever bugs me when it's elevated, but just when i get up and use the crutches that is when sometimes it hurts like a son of a gun! but here's to hoping it gets better. :) well, this tired girl is off to bed, night to all and have a great tomorrow.


Bookmark and Share

0 Responses

Post a Comment